Monday, June 08, 2009

The Nuclear Option

So, with the first week of our homespun version of NaNoRiMo done, I find myself in serious trouble. Between work, moving to a new house and the process of planning a move across the country, I find myself seven days in and just shy of 3,000 words.
This does not bode well.
Now, usually, this would not present too much of a problem. I'd give it the old college try, but if in the end things did not work out, I would not be too sore about it. It's just a fun little distraction, yes?
But then I realized - I have been taking part in National Novel Writing Month since 2001, when I was still an immature, surly teenager (as opposed to my current status as a surly, immature adult.) And because there have been years that I've taken part in both the U of A edition AND the Normal November edition, (for the sake of your social life, don't do this)  it means this month marks my tenth month-long novel.
I wish to succeed on this special anniversary.
Therefore, I am pulling out the most powerful weapon in the 30-day novelist's toolbox. Threat of pain. Threat of torture. Before the fiction gods and everyone on this blog, I am making a pledge - promising myself a horrifying fate if I do not hit succeed:
I, Scott Lilwall, do pledge that if I do not hit the 50,000 word mark by the end of this month's deadline, I shall go to a bookstore and purchase the ENTIRE Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I will read it, cover to cover. I will display the books on my bookshelf for a period of two years after. 
I once was assigned to read the first book in a class that focused on the adaption of books to film. I dropped the class one chapter in because I couldn't stand reading further. I consider it the literary equivalent of waterboarding.
With this promise in place, I now feel success is assured.
So, as a tip for my fellow novelists who wants a surefire way of making your goal: assign yourself a harsh sentence for failure. There is no better motivation.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Will you also agree to wear a Team Edward t-shirt in public? If not, I question your dedication.

10:58 AM  
Blogger A said...

I shall require summaries of the book which I will make my younger sister read to verify for accuracy, Lilwall.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No summaries will be needed, for I will not allow myself to fail. I. Will. Not. Fail.

Also, I will do such a thing, Jake. I'm not quite sure what 'Team Edward' means, but I assume it will be devastating to any hopes I have of a healthy social life.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also, apparently I have two separate Blogger accounts and get randomly auto-signed into one or the other. Strange.

8:01 PM  
Blogger --Chris said...

Godspeed, good sir. Your dedication is to be admired. I speak from experience when I say that fear is the greatest NaNoWriMo motivator.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy 10th Anniversary! Make it count.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home