Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Idiot Wind


I would write something here, but my hands are rigid from RSI. Maybe I'll update this with a By The Numbers thing tomorrow, but for now I've got Queen ready on the playlist (as appears to be tradition) and some obnoxiously loud squealing to do.

Good luck to all of you still in. This feeling is worth persevering for!

__________________________________

I'm just about done squealing now, so here is my novel 'The Thingy', by the numbers.

Number of words - 50,444
Chapters - 22
Days spent writing - 17
Most productive day - June 20th with 5,894 words
Number of times the write or die website was used - over 75
Average typing speed - 25wpm
Average length of typing session - 30 minutes
Hours spent at work during past three weeks - 135
Number of 50,000 word novels I theoretically could have written in that time, if I went pro and wrote instead of worked - 4.05
Chances of that happening - 0.0
Characters that found the smell of cranberries to be an aphrodisiac- 1
Principal characters that disappeared inexplicably from the main plot after 47,500 words - 3
Approximate proportion of the plot worked out after 35,000 words - 80%
Words written about Brean Down Caravan Park - 4,500
Words written before my protagonist had a name - 6,763
Number of times that I was tempted to have my secondary school geography teacher destroy all of humanity in order to avoid the necessity of a proper plot - 2

Thanks for inviting/challenging me to do this. It's definitely not something I'd have ever chose to do normally, and perhaps if my fingers recover, I'll give it a go next year too.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Great title!

9:56 PM  
Blogger --Chris said...

Congratulations! Savour the feeling!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

Wow. You had a somewhat better week than I did. Nicely done.

8:06 AM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

The novel's title is good, but I prefer the post title.

This also sets the NaNoWriMo U of A record for fastest novel by about eleven days, in case anyone was wondering.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Congrats! I am very impressed. Unlike the rest of us, you probably could have afforded to work on the quality of your novel. Did you complete the storyline as well?

7:34 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Steve is right about the speed record, although as I recall, Samuel's novel last year was written almost entirely in the space of the last two or three days, which has got to be another sort of speed record.

Also, the bitter, whiny part of me would like to point out that a) I still hold the length record; b) also, my 2006 novel was the longest NaNoWriMo U of A novel to date; and c) I'm pretty sure I would've hit 50,000 by today if I hadn't nearly died on the 12th and been in constant pain ever since.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Although actually, Steve was wrong, because 31 - 22 != 11. Dumb us.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Also, I see Steve is neglecting his word count gathering duties again. For shame.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

thanks all!

I still have a chapter or so that might clear up some of the glaring plot holes, and I suppose if I did that, M Jake's current length record might be under threat, but the chance of that happening is essentially zero because a) I hate my novel; b) i'm going to Glastonbury Festival for the next seven or eight days and will be in no state to write; and c) I really should spend my spare time preparing for an interview i've got on the 2nd of July.

I think continuing to write after almost dying midway through must be worthy of some sort of record.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home