Saturday, June 06, 2009

Almost quit

Aside from the jealousy of not having a group of crazy people to write with since I don't live in Edmonton (there's a certain someone I will kick in the butt if she doesn't go today - I mean you Nadia... although Steve, when I talked with her on the phone yesterday she didn't even know this blog existed...), I came very close to quitting. Has anyone else felt the same already? It was a horrible coincidence that my 2 year old son fractured his elbow on day one and has been in and out of the hospital throughout the week, and then had to have surgery under general anesthetic to realign his arm and put pins in it, then a cast (which will come off at the end of June). I'm already a slow writer to begin with and surgery day became a complete write off with him reacting to the drugs in his system and throwing up at least every hour (lovely, I know) as well as his refusing to eat for 24 hours. I had a mental breakdown, cried, and then, despite it all, still had a strong desire to keep on writing. Am I crazy? Or is it worth it? It'd be interesting to hear other people's struggles throughout the week(s)... even if you think they're mundane. Perhaps the solidarity of knowing you're not the only one struggling will help us make it to the finish line.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

*correction: make that yesterday evening everyone got together to write.

1:39 PM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

I have no struggles. I'm essentially unemployed, and I have all the time in the world.

And Nadia's gotten the same e-mails as everybody else; I assume she just doesn't read them. Not much I can do about that. She also didn't show up last night, but as I understand it that wasn't her fault.

Huh. That may not have been very motivational. Sorry.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

No, that's not very inspiring at all Steve. Except now we'll be harassing you even more, if you don't make the 50,000 mark.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

I'm afraid that i can't really offer much experience on this. The most challenging day I've had so far was on Sunday when i had a debilitating hangover - I just got around it by abandoning the novel for the day, not really a solution for you.

It's difficult to say whether it's worth it. I imagine that the harder it is to complete, the more rewarding it is at the end of the month. Its worth is also linked to what you go through when you're writing i suppose. If the writing is enjoyable and adds something to the day, then it can help you in other areas. Good luck with whatever you choose.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one without a writing group!

3:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks 'Rich'. I think you're right. And I too find it nice to know I'm not the only one without a writing group. Strange how we delight in other people's suffering...

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home