Thursday, May 01, 2008

Wait a second, this is a terrible idea ...

Some of you may be familiar with my boastful, arrogant and semi-insane offer. If you're not, let me summarize for you:

Chris: "Hey! Who wants free money?!"
843 people: "Me!"
Chris: "Awesome! I'll get that to you as soon as I fail at writing a novel and, by extension, fail at life!"
843 people: "Sweet! We're rooting against you!"

This *could* be brilliant. I have promised away a potential $8,430, and I do *not* have $8,430 (I don't even have $8.43). So, by backing myself into a fiscal corner (one from which I am unable to escape), you might conclude that I've ensured my success. You might. But then, you'd be underestimating my wildly powerful urge to procrastinate.

There's an insane internal war raging right now. On one hand, you have my pride, my future financial security, my reputation, my competitive instinct, and my desire to avoid becoming the butt of every NaNoWriMo joke from here until they retire the concept. On the other hand, you have my lazi

5 Comments:

Blogger Catrin said...

182 words wasted that could have been in your novel.

Good show!

9:11 PM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

And twelve that could have been in yours.

And there went eight that could have been in mine.

*Head explodes*

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mustafa Hirji said...

Personally, I would contrive to put this post and comments into the novel verbatim somehow. But then what do I know—I think this entire exercise is unproductive, utility-reducing, and insane.

- Mustafa HIrji

2:59 PM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

It's certainly insane. I'm not at all certain about the other two (except that it's not unproductive in the strictest sense of the word, since plenty is being produced - sort of like a productive cough, I guess).

1:25 AM  
Blogger Mustafa Hirji said...

It's productive in terms of quantity, but not in terms of quantity-quality.

- Mustafa Hirji

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home