Friday, May 02, 2008

By the numbers

Instead of writing, I am currently playing with my calculator widget.

With 26 hours behind us, here are some quick statistics that amused me (don't worry - it's all downhill from here).

Total words so far: 2569
Average words per hour: 98 (or 550 or so, if you count by the actual hours)
Completion (by percentage): 5%
Chapters: 4
Major plot points passed: None
Digressions completed unrelated to plot advancement: 1.5
Characters introduced: 7
References to real people: 5
That I know: 2
Cursewords: 2
Penis jokes: 1

If I maintain this pace, I'll be finished this thing by 2:30 am on the morning of May 22nd.
Nothing of substance will have occurred, and my novel will include 38.9 curse words.

This thing clearly needs more curse words.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

5649 words. At this rate, I'll be done May 11 at 2:24 PM.

That doesn't take into account that when I hit 12,000 words I'll have the overwhelming urge to restart, I won't write anything for eight days, and I'll end up writing 25,000 words in the last five days to beat the buzzer. That's if everything goes the same as it did last year.

6:45 AM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

Hey, hey, reporting wordcount before the one week mark is cheating. Especially since I'm only at ~2300 words.

I am curious about your novel, Amanda - to which real people do you refer?

9:55 AM  
Blogger A said...

Cheating who? I'm sure the suspense was killing us all.

In the order they appear:
Peter Chung
Bono
a former President of the MacEwan Students' Association
Osama bin Laden
the fiancé of a former admin assistant of the UofA SU

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

It also needs more penis jokes.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home