Thursday, May 04, 2006

This Concept is Awesome

I typed by 5497th word a few minutes ago. I decided to see, out of curiosity, how this compared to my progress on my most recent serious attempt at novelling, and the one that (I think) had made it the furthest. The answer? My previous attempt had made it no further than 2833.

This isn't the longest thing I've ever written - I wrote a paper this year that tipped the scales at 3169 words, the longest bylaw I ever wrote for the S.U. was of a length comparable to my present nascent novel, and my S.U. Exit Report weighed in at a decidedly meatier 13670 words - but it's been three fucking days.

Seriously: I'm beginning to question why anybody would decide to take more than a month on a first draft.

Question: howmany of you know approximately how your novel will end? Catrin and I were having a little writing powow tonight, and she told me that she's making everything up as she goes along. Meanwhile, I've had an outline (a very rough outline, but one that captured the essence of my whole story arc) since not long after I decided to do this (though I haven't decided yet whether my protagonist will get back together with the bitch that dumps him in the first chapter). Which one of us is more typical?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

I'm not even sure how this scene is going to end, let alone the entire novel.

Also, I wasn't going to have any flashbacks, then I went ahead and wrote a 2500-word flashback scene. So the point is, I have absolutely no idea of, or control over, where my story is going.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Daniel Kaszor said...

I know exactly how I want my novel to end. I'm also almost positive I won't be able to get there in 50 000 words.

Also, after not writing anything for the first two days, I'm now at 2100. Hopefully I can normalize by next Monday.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Theresa Chapman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm making mine up as I go along. And I'm not doing a very good job.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home