Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Before I started my novel, even before I had even the smallest semblance of a plot worked out, I had one goal in mind: I want to kill my main character off in the first chapter. I figured that doing so would force me to come up with a plot of some sort, simply to work around the fact that my main focus of the novel would cease to exist before Chapter Two.

It is then, with sadness, that I announced the death of Greg Ryder. He passed away on Sunday, May 2nd, at about the 5000 word mark. Friend. Son. Couch Insurance Salesman.

Greg survived an elaborate scheme put in place by Fate to cause his death by way of fried eggs and a pizza delivery. Barely escaping demise by that manner, he was sadly gunned down by the love of his life on the way back to his office.

He is survived by a Donald Duck desk clock, and a rat with a weakness for Frosted Flakes.

Please join me in a silent moment of reflection, as well as a longer moment of "what the hell am I going to do with my novel now?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Kaszor said...

Greg's Ghost needs to travel through time to stop his own murder. The only thing stopping him? Himself!

And God!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Daniel Kaszor said...

Also, I'm at 9506 words. I'll hit the 10,000 word mark tonight. Woot! Then I'll only be 4,516 words behind pace!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Lilwall said...

All I know at this point is that Death's custom cellphone ringtone is "Mmmbop"

Other than that, I'm just making it all up as I go along.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home